Friday, May 23, 2008

Politics

That’s right I am feeling overzealous this week so I am going to put up a whole bunch of posts that way when I forget about my blog for a month or so the average is still good.
This post is regarding political turmoil. I am really, really, really disenchanted by the current presidential options. As some of you may know in the beginning of the primaries I was a big fan of Mitt, I still am. I have also been very interested in another former republican nominee Ron Paul, granted some of his views are a little extreme for my liking but the thing I have come to really appreciate about him is how he has, and does stick to his guns. He has been very, very consistent in his voting record, so I like that he is predictable. I also like most of his stances especially those regarding taxes, illegal immigration, and fiscal policy. I do vary from him somewhat on foreign policy but I think that part would work out anyway.
This all comes at a time when it doesn’t really matter anymore though because we are a two party system, a vote for anyone else is just throwing it away. I really don’t like this because then we are literally stuck with the choice of voting for the lesser evil, not the best man/woman for the job. The whole system kind of sucks because the delegate system is a necessary evil, since it gives smaller states a voice, however it is inherently flawed in that it has thwarted the voice of the majority.
My current take is this:
I am not real happy with the current options for president this year, seems like pretty tired politics with none of them willing to make a real difference. I also can't say I am really happy with our current state of affairs either. I think it is unfortunate we can't get someone in as a president that is not afraid to get rid of the excessive government spending, and the lobbyist's who are padding politician's pockets. I liked Ron Paul because he has a really consistent and long record that has emphatically shown how he acts in political arena, was willing and adamant about securing our borders. I also thought that throughout the GOP debates he had much better responses and questions than any of the other candidates. He also takes issue with the IRS on some issues that I have, as far as personal income tax being taxation without representation, and the Federal Reserve, which is the governments outsourcing of our currency production. I feel strongly that the Federal Reserve is actually it's own conflict of interest, however thanks to the crash of the housing market it is finally being punished, hopefully to the point where the government will take the control of this back, we don't really have a US dollar, it is actually a Federal Reserve Dollar. McCain always struck me as just being a name dropper, like every time he got a question he would just respond with well I know so and so and they like me, not really very intelligent responses in my mind, plus his voting record while long is sporadic at best, one day he is a "staunch republican" the next day (when he is trying to appeal to the independent vote) he is a moderate or liberal republican, he has never been strong on border control, and he has admitted to being weak on economics (that is just frightening considering the current status of our economic system). On the other side of the spectrum I haven't seen any major differences between Obama and HRC, other than Obama tends to have a bit more class. They both have one major strike against them in my book and that is simply the fact that they have both exhibited a significant propensity to work for "special interest groups" which in my mind are not where any democracy should be spending significant time, it is a democracy because it works for the majority, the minority will have to fight for rights just like the majority did when they were the minority. Don't get me wrong I believe fully in diversity and protection of our rights to pursue life, liberty, and happiness. I just don't think that special interest groups should get more attention, or time, than concerns of the majority. I think Obama has a charisma that is very appealing in public. However his voting record provides very little information about him, and how he would act as president. HRC is just running a campaign on her husband's reputation, I am not really sure what drives this woman so again I don't know what her position would be as president, other than universal (read: socialized) healthcare, which is an obvious flaw in my mind. So I think this year I will just vote for a gang of wild monkeys or maybe a pair of old shoes, really what’s the difference?

1 comment:

Sabrina said...

As you can probably guess, I am thrilled with your post. It is a frustrating time in the political arena. It seems we have no decent choice whatsoever. I know my vote really won't count because this state will go to McCain, but I am still going to vote my conscience, which, as you know, is Ron Paul. Obviously I'll have to do a write-in.