Thursday, April 19, 2012

My Hero

It’s a little hard for me to put in words what has been going through my mind today. But I feel like I need to at least try. This morning my Grandpa passed away. He was an amazing man and truly an inspiration in my life. I consider him to be the ultimate example of what I would like to accomplish while I am alive. I was very fortunate to have spent a significant amount of time with him, and I am so grateful for that time.

I’m sad for selfish reasons; I wanted him to see my children grow, to teach them some of the valuable lessons he taught me. I wanted to spend one more 4th of July watching fireworks at Bear Lake with him. I wanted him to see my children play baseball, dance, and soccer. I wanted him to teach me how to be a better dad, and person.

I’m happy because I know he is at peace, he is no longer in pain. I know his spirit lives on and his life will continue to provide valuable lessons for me. I am so grateful for the time I was able to spend with him. I am so grateful for the amazing posterity he has left, and the wonderful extended family I have. I am grateful for his strength, for his passion, for his testimony, and for his life.

2 comments:

Susan said...

Your Grandpa was a great and kind man! I am very grateful to have known him. Love you, Spencer!

HILL HESS said...

Love this, Spence. It was so great to be with you at the funeral. I wish we lived closer.